Kenya, 17 August 2026 – Six miners remain trapped underground after a gold mine collapsed in Naduat, Nakalale Ward, Turkana County, with rescue teams yet to establish whether they are alive.
The mining pit collapsed on Friday, August 14, 2026, trapping the workers beneath the rubble. By Monday, rescue efforts were still underway, with their condition remaining unknown.
The Kenya Red Cross said rescue teams had continued working through the weekend as excavators and local miners cleared debris from the collapsed section.
Local miners familiar with the underground workings have been assisting the rescue teams to navigate the site and identify possible access points to the trapped workers.
A joint team comprising security officers, the area chief, Turkana County officials and Kenya Red Cross personnel visited the site on Sunday as efforts to reach the miners continued.
Excavators have also been deployed to clear the collapsed material and create access to the underground section.
However, the unstable terrain has complicated the operation, with rescuers having to balance the urgency of reaching the trapped miners against the risk of further collapse.
A senior security official has meanwhile urged the public to disregard unverified reports circulating on social media about the fate of the miners.
As of Sunday evening, no survivors or bodies had been recovered, and authorities said it was too early to determine whether the six miners were alive or dead.
The incident has once again placed attention on the dangers facing artisanal miners in parts of northern Kenya, where mining operations can take place in remote locations with limited access to specialised equipment and emergency response services.
The latest collapse is particularly significant because Naduat has experienced a similar tragedy before.
In November 2024, another gold mine in the area collapsed while miners were underground. Two miners were confirmed dead, while others were trapped, prompting a rescue operation involving local residents, security officers and the Kenya Red Cross. One survivor had to have his arm amputated after becoming trapped under a rock.
The 2024 incident also raised questions about compliance with mining regulations.
