The activists arrived at Soekarno-Hatta International Airport in Tangerang, Banten, after being released from Israeli detention on May 21.
They had been detained after Israeli forces intercepted ships participating in the GSF humanitarian convoy on May 18.
“Today, we welcome our humanitarian volunteers who were detained by the Israeli military. They have all returned safely,” Sugiono told reporters upon their arrival.
He said the Indonesian government coordinated with several countries during efforts to secure the activists’ release and return.
“We extend our gratitude to the governments of Turkiye, Jordan, and Egypt for assisting in the repatriation of our citizens,” he added.
Sugiono reiterated Indonesia’s condemnation of the violence and mistreatment experienced by international volunteers, including Indonesians, during their detention by Israeli forces.
“Indonesia again condemns Israel’s treatment of our fellow citizens and humanitarian volunteers. This clearly violates international law because they are civilians delivering humanitarian assistance to people in Palestine,” he said.
Earlier, volunteers from various countries participating in the GSF mission were released and deported from Israel to Turkiye.
Upon arriving in Istanbul, the nine Indonesians underwent medical examinations and other procedures before returning home.
The activists said they experienced physical violence during detention, including being beaten, kicked, and subjected to electric shocks.
Related news: MPR praises RI gov’t for securing release of Indonesians from Israel
Related news: Indonesia condemns abuse of Gaza flotilla aid volunteers by Israel
Translator: Azmi Syamsul Ma’arif, Yashinta Difa
Editor: Anton Santoso
Copyright © ANTARA 2026
