Harrison Gate, Buckland and Cleveland Avenue, early 1900s
This early automobile is posed at the Harrison Gate, which is named for General William Henry Harrison who traveled the old Indian trail that runs through Spiegel Grove during the War of 1812. Before the White House gates were brought to Spiegel Grove in 1928, two 15,000-pound, 10-inch Rodman Guns “guarded” the gate. They were topped by 15-inch cannonballs that were pained white and inscribed “Old French & Indian Trial 1755” on one side and “Harrison Military Trail” on the other.
Read or Share this story: http://ohne.ws/2yyroL4