Dan’l Boone Region Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) is the sponsoring organization of the Allandale Car Show, which typically attracts hundreds of entrants and always draws crowds of participants and onlookers, rain or shine. Still Transfer Co., Inc. is the corporate sponsor for the event.
The show is open to antiques, street rods, “classics,” sports cars, trucks, motorcycles, and special interest cars and trucks.
The Dan’l Boone Region club’s members encourage anyone with a vehicle in any of those categories to consider bringing it out for show Sunday.
Back to that ’58 Lincoln Capri, now owned by Randy Still. He bought it in 2008.
And according to Still:
• The lower body of the car is “Deauville Yellow” and the top is “Starmist White.” It was not heavily equipped for such a car of the era, lacking air conditioning, an FM radio and even power windows.
• It was purchased new on February 24, 1958 from Tom Yancey Lincoln-Mercury, a dealership on Revere Street across from Pal’s.
• The original owners were Joseph H. and Florence M. Lewis, and the car was purchased primarily for use by Mrs. Lewis.
• Joseph H.Lewis was president of Blue Ridge Glass Corporation, which later became American Saint Gobain and then AFG Industries. Lewis had patented a machine to produce wire-reinforced glass in 1930 and worked his way to the top of the company before retiring in 1962. He was very active in community organizations, and after retirement from the glass plant he served on the Kingsport Board of Mayor and Aldermen and followed Hugh Rule as mayor. Lewis is considered a key figure in the formation of Bays Mountain Park.
• The Yancey dealership was sold in the 1960s to Don and Mary Billings, became Kingsport Motors and was moved to Stone Drive. The building on Revere Street was purchased by Jack King, president of Mason-Dixon (trucking) Lines, and an early member of the Dan’l Boone Region AACA. After Florence Lewis died in the mid 1980s, King bought the car. When he wasn’t showing it, it was stored in the building on Revere Street, where it started its life in Kingsport.
• King later donated the car as an item for a benefit auction for the Boys and Girls Club. Mo and Sara Rainey bought it there, and their son drove it to Dobyns-Bennett High School. When he went to college, the Lincoln was sold to Buford and Joann Sluss of Nickelsville, and that family did a lot of mechanical work on the car before selling it to Colby Reasor of Big Stone Gap. Still bought the car from the Reasors in 2008.
• Later, a young man who was to serve as best man in a wedding came looking for an antique car to use for the bride and groom’s trip from the ceremony to the reception. He picked the Lincoln. Still agreed to drive to Johnson City on the wedding date and act as chauffeur. It wasn’t until the couple was in the car that Still found out the groom was the Raineys’ son — the one who’d driven the Lincoln to D-B.
The Dan’l Boone Region club is an affiliate of the 60,000-member-strong Antique Automobile Club of America.
The Allandale Car Show is open to all vehicles for a $15 registration fee. The fee includes two adult admissions.
Registration begins at 9 a.m. Sunday and continues until 1 p.m., with an awards presentation at 4 p.m.
In addition to the car show, there will be automobile-related displays inside the mansion, door prizes, car awards, dash plaques, children’s prizes, music, entertainment, food and lots of camaraderie.
There is a $2 per adult “spectator donation” to enter the grounds.
Children under 12 are admitted free. Pets, alcoholic beverages and bicycles are not allowed at the event.
For more information, call Wayne Lambert at (423) 378-3358 or Dave Williams at (423) 765-1095 or visit http://danlbooneregion.aaca.com.